Each spring, the Mayfaire Renaissance Festival provides a unique opportunity to step back in time and play the fool. The Royal Court of Queen Ariana and King Leopold is, for a short time only, located at the Calhoun County fairgrounds in nearby Marshall Michigan. Guests of our Lansing Bed and Breakfast need only drive 30 – 40 minutes to experience the very best of the Renaissance (Michigan style).
Entertainment abounds at the Mayfaire Renaissance Festival:
- Patrice Blackbottle is a beguiling story teller who offers free iridology scribing sessions.
- Robyn the Bard is a musician blessed with the ability to transform modern songs into Renaissance ballads or Irish drinking tunes. He will woo the object of your affection (if paid in coin).
- Professional Pixies Yarrow and Dywn Eldritch sing, dance and fight while on a Very Important Quest.
- Ric Roc Zoo is a juggler extradordinaire, mime, stilt dancer, and all around magical physical comedian.
- Her Majesty’s Royal Guard consists of impressive knights and their squires. Watch their “fully armored, full contact / combat fighting show”. Not for the faint of heart or squeamish.
You’ll be ready for a pint at our English Pub after spending the day at Mayfaire!
Shops at the Mayfaire Renaissance Festival ply much interesting merchandise: herbs and horns, crystals, dragon tails, hand painted shields, embroidered banners, and hand-made maces. Less eccentric items, such as clothing, jewelry, and books, are also available for purchase.
The Mayfaire Renaissance Festival takes place this weekend, May 21-22, and May 28-31, 2011. If you’re already planning to be at our Bed and Breakfast Eaton Rapids MI during one of those times, consider dropping by the festival. If not, consider planning a trip. How often does one get the opportunity to visit a Royal Court of the Renaissance?
If you feel like exploring some of the natural beauty of Michigan while staying at our Lansing area bed and breakfast, head to Sleepy Hollow State Park, in nearby Laingsburg. Less than an hour from the inn, Sleepy Hollow offers miles of shaded hiking trails and a lake that is perfect for boating and swimming.
Start with a super night’s sleep in one of the historic rooms of our Lansing Michigan bed and breakfast. In the morning, greet the dawn with a stroll through our English gardens or out to the gazebo overlooking the Grand River. After breakfast, begin your journey to Sleepy Hollow.
You may want to pick up picnic supplies in Lansing on the way to the park. Once there, you may rent kayaks, paddleboats, pontoons and rowboats. If you’re an angler, you’ll probably want to spend out on Lake Ovid, but if not, you may enjoy escaping from the sun to the cool of the woods; over ten miles of trails meander through prairie grasses and hardwood forests.