At the turn of the 19th century, Lansing was evolving from a frontier town to a center for commerce, government and culture. As this shift occurred, impressive, more permanent buildings began to spring up. Through the care of the community and dedicated groups like the Lansing Historical Society, many of these buildings still stand and can be admired by you today!
Central United Methodist Church. (215 North Capital) One of the finest Richardsonian Romanesque churches in Michigan, outside of Detroit. The structure is made of dark red Ionia Michigan sandstone. All of the trim is red oak. Built in 1889, it is an important part of the Greater Lansing community. It is possibly the only church designed by Elijah E. Myers, architect of the State Capitol.
Herrmann House on Lansing Community College. (520 North Capitol Avenue) Built by successful German immigrant and businessman John Herrmann once his business took off. Now a part of the Lansing Community College and home to the president of the College.
Read the rest of this page »